Vittorio Veneto is a city full of churches, monuments and works of art, located along the Alemagna state road (SS. 51), at the foot of the Treviso Pre-Alps.
In ancient times it consisted of two neighboring and autonomous centers of Romanesque origin, Ceneda and Serravalle, which in 1866 merged to form the current municipality of Vittorio Veneto.
The town of Ceneda (to the south), of Roman or even pre-Roman origin, reached its maximum prestige in the seventh century, when it became an important Lombard duchy and, later, an episcopal seat.
Serravalle (to the north), also of Roman origin, powerfully fortified by kings and barbarian princes, became a fief of the Da Camino family in 1174, from which it was considerably embellished. Under the dominion of the Serenissima (1337-1797) it experienced a period of great splendor, testified by the extraordinary beauty and elegance of the palaces and squares, well preserved.
Vittorio Veneto represents the city symbol of an important national historical moment such as the conclusion of the Great War on November 4, 1918, gold medal for military valor for the active participation of the population in the struggle for liberation.
Today Vittorio Veneto presents itself as an important artisan and industrial center, but it is a city of art, full of churches, monuments and works of art, music, wine, awarded in 2000 the title of City of Art .
Rich in beautiful churches and ancient traditions, with a strong vocation to consolidate its name as the city of art, music and wine and to offer itself more and more as a tourist destination, Vittorio Veneto confirms and gives credit to the reputation of “City of music “, Home of Lorenzo Da Ponte, famous Mozart librettist, organizing a series of unique events at national level, such as the” Mario Benvenuti “National String Review, the” Efrem Casagrande “Grand Prix
The mildness of the climate, therefore, together with the charm of natural and artistic beauties, in addition to the forthcoming construction of a well-equipped wellness center thanks to the presence of quality mineral waters in the heart of the historic center of Ceneda, make this city one of the most suggestive Veneto region.
Vittorio Veneto is also known for the Bosco del Cansiglio, the second state-owned forest in Italy equipped for winter sports, golf and excursions, and for the hills that surround it and which represent an ideal setting for excursions for lovers of walking. , on horseback, and especially mountain bikes.
In the heart of the Prosecco production area, and located on the “Strada del Prosecco and Colli Conegliano and Valdobbiadene” Vittorio Veneto is characterized by the long tradition of white wine vinification, especially obtained from blends of Prosecco, Verdiso, Bianchetta and Boschera, both on the hilly municipal territory and on the neighboring one where you can admire authentic expanses of vineyards and different cultivations of the vine. Among the numerous events organized to enhance the artistic, historical and cultural aspects, the “City of Vittorio” Wine and Grappa Show, held in May, is a qualified occasion to educate on tasting and food and wine pairing. in short, it is a pleasant enhancement of entertainment and aggregation opportunities.
to be seen:
- Castle of San Martino
- The Museum of the Battle
- Museo del Cenedese
- The Castrum, an ancient Roman fortress
- Sanctuary of Santa Augusta
- Sources of the Meschio River
The Castle of S. Martino
Ceneda is the episcopal seat of the Diocese which for eleven years saw Albino Luciani, the unforgettable John Paul I, on his chair. The Loggia of the Community of Ceneda (1534-38), of Sansovian inspiration, is the seat of the Museum of the Battle of Vittorio Veneto, rich in documents, relics, historical and artistic memories of the First World War, exhibited in the architectural spaces frescoed between 1841 and 1844, by Giovanni De Min (1786-1859) and Pomponio Amalteo (1505-1588) on cartoons by Pordenone. Ceneda was the birthplace of the poet Lorenzo Da Ponte (1749-1838), Mozart’s librettist and promoter of Italian culture in America. The city preserves and offers the visitor works by Guardi, Previtali and Sansovino, while Venetian masters of the “devotional gothic” have left an interesting cycle of frescoes in the stupendous Oratory of SS. Lorenzo and Marco dei Battuti (15th century).
Titian and the Cathedral of Serravalle
Serravalle knows its first period of expansion with the Da Camino lordship (XIII-XIV century); it therefore shares the fate of the Venetian Republic since 1337, reaching its maximum flourishing of arts and commerce between the end of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, centuries to which much of the historic center dates back, which still, tightly around the Castrum, offers precious aspects of uniqueness . In the ancient square, dedicated to the poet and humanist MarcAntonio Flaminio (Serravalle 1498-Rome 1550), the fifteenth-century Loggia della Comunità (1464-1476) now houses the collections of archeology, art and history of the Museo del Cenedese.
The Museum is based on the collection of artifacts relating to the First World War begun by the Victorian Luigi Marson, a former grenadier and boy of ’99 already during the war. Inaugurated in November 1938 on the occasion of the celebrations for the twentieth anniversary of the Victory, it still continues to enrich itself through bequests, gifts, and finds of period material. The entrance to the museum is characterized by the “Loggia del Cenedese” (1536) by Sansovino “Jacopo Tatti” and frescoes by Pomponio Amalteo. In the 9 rooms of the museum are collected testimonies and relics of the “Great War” 1915-18 and in particular the memories of the invasion of 1917 (defeat of Caporetto) and of the final victory of 1918.
The construction of the castle, which covers an area of 15,000 square meters, began in the second century. B.C. by the Romans. In fact, they considered it useful to exploit the particular orography of the Serravalle strait as a natural barrier to the incursions of the peoples of the north. Throughout the first millennium A.D. it was the fortress of the Roman city of Ceneda, the “Castrum Cenetensium”, and only towards the year 1000 it became the “Acropolis” of the first autonomous community of Serravalle.
In the twelfth century. it was the residence of the Da Camino lords, and from 1337 to the fall of Venice the residence of the Podestà of Serravalle. Abandoned from 1770 to the early twentieth century, in the decade 1925 – 35 it was restored and completed by Eng. Francesco Trojer.
The Cathedral of Serravalle on the picturesque setting of Piazza Flaminio,
in the noble historical center.
The existence has been documented since the fourteenth century, but the current structure dates back to 1779; a rigorous formal cleanliness characterizes the current building designed by Domenico Schiavi in 1775. The foundations of this church rest on very ancient and large arches of stone and brick. The ceiling was decorated with frescoes by the Venetian Antonio Canal known as il Canaletto (1743 – 1825). Inside there is a masterpiece by Tiziano Vecellio (1490 – 1576), an altarpiece from 1547 representing the “Madonna between Sant’Andrea and San Pietro”. Also noteworthy are the two canvases by Francesco da Milano placed on the sides of the presbytery, and the altarpiece of Santa Augusta by Rubens.